Welcome to Jura, a remote island off the West Coast of Scotland.
Only 60 miles from the mainland yet it feels like an entire world away;
an ancient landscape of wild mountains, peaceful lochs and stormy seas.
With just one road, one pub, one whisky distillery and a very distinct micro-climate, it’s not the easiest place to make whisky, but we believe it’s the best.
The Island is 30-mile-long and seven-mile-wide.
It is framed by the wild waters of the Atlantic on its west coast, while the east is home to serene bays, seals and sea eagles. Journey to the north west of Jura and you’ll be meet the rugged coastline of our island home, where there is nowhere wilder than the world’s third largest whirlpool, The Corryvreckan. As beautiful as it is dangerous, the Royal Navy considers it to be one of the most treacherous stretches of water in the British Isles. We created our iconic shaped bottle to withstand the perils of such dangerous crossings.
On the south east coast you will find the village of Craighouse. Small but perfectly formed, this is the island’s only village, and home to our pub, hotel, shop and most of our tiny island community of 212 people. This is also where you will find the Jura distillery - the beating heart of the community.
The Distillery at Craighouse has been been known by many names in the past
Caol nan Eilean
1810 - The site at Craighouse operated as an illicit still before becoming a licensed distillery in 1810 under the ownership of the Laird of Jura, Archibald Campbell. The distillery was managed by several tenants including:
William Abercrombie until 1831
Archibald Fletcher until 1851
1853 - The distillery changed hands and was entrusted to Norman Buchanan of Glasgow who also owned the Caol Ila distillery on Islay. But after 10 years he went bankrupt.
1861 - Abandoned
1867 - J & K Orr
1876 - James Ferguson & Sons signed a 34 year lease with the Laird of Jura
1901 - James Ferguson abandoned the distillery removing all the equipment inside. To avoid paying rates, the Laird removed the roof. The distillery fell into disrepair.
1901-1962 - Photo: Neil Wilson
Jura Maltings in the 1960s shown in disrepair
1962/1963 - Two local landowners Robin Fletcher and Tony Riley-Smith worried about a declining population on the island, wanted to bring prosperity back. With backing from Mackinlay Macpherson and Co (Later bought out by Scottish & Newcastle Brewers), they brought in the services of William Delme-Evans (Involved in building Tullibardine in the 1940s) and architects Lothian, Barclay, Jarvis & Boys with the intention of producing a Highland style malt whisky differing from the previous peaty malt. The work was completed in 1963, and included the installation of taller stills, allowing the distillery to create a mix of malts.
1974 - The first single malt under the revived distillery was released.
1976-1978 - The distillery was expanded by Dr Alan Rutherford by the addition of 2 further stills bringing the total to 4.
1985 - Invergordon Distillers buys Mackinlays
1995 - Whyte and Mackay buys Invergordon Distillers
2002 - Jura launches Superstition
2009 – Jura Prophecy its 1st peated malt
2007 - United Spirits buys White and Mackay
2014 - Emperador Distillers Inc (Alliance Global) buys United Spirits.
2019 - Say Hello to Jura campaign launches
Jura's current offering comprises 26 single malt whiskies that are divided over three product series:
Signature, Travel Exclusive and Rare & Limited.
SIGNATURE SERIES BOTTLE GALLERY